|Ph.D.||Agricultural Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL.||12/1993|
|MS||Agricultural Engineering, University of Georgia, Athens, GA.||12/1987|
|BSAE||Agricultural Engineering, University of Georgia, Athens, GA.||6/1986|
|• Professor, Biosystems Engineering, Auburn University||5/15-present|
|• Dean, College of Agriculture, Auburn University.||7/10-5/15|
|• Director, Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station, Auburn University.||7/10-5/15|
|• Interim Director, Institute for Clean Energy Technology, Mississippi State University.||1/10-3/10|
|• Director, Energy Institute, Mississippi State University.||9/08 – 7/10|
|• Director, Sustainable Energy Research Center, Mississippi State University.||10/05 – 7/10|
|• Professor and Department Head, Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Mississippi State University.||1/05 – 7/10|
|• Distinguished International Professor, University of Hohenheim, Stuttgart, Germany.||2004-2007|
|• Professor, Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering, Iowa State Univ., Ames, IA.||7/04 – 1/05|
|• Associate Professor, Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.||7/99 – 6/04|
|• Bioinformatics Faculty, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.||9/00 – 1/05|
|• Water Resources Faculty, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.||12/98 – 1/05|
|• Biotechnology Faculty, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.||1/95 – 1/05|
|• Assistant Professor, Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.||8/94 – 6/99|
|• Research Associate, Biological Engineering Dept., Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA.||9/93 – 7/94|
|• USDA Fellow, Agricultural Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL.||9/90 – 8/93|
|• Instructor, Agricultural Engineering, University of Georgia, Athens, GA.||12/87 – 8/90|
|• Graduate Research Assistant, Agricultural Engineering, Univ. of Georgia, Athens, GA.||6/86 – 12/87|
recent Honors and Awards
|• Inducted into the Auburn University College of Agriculture Academy of Fellow||2015|
|• Honored as a Visiting Professor, Shangdong Peanut Research Institute, Qingdau, China||2014|
|• Appointed as Extraordinary Researcher at Liaoning Ocean and Fisheries Science Research Institute, Dalian, China||2012|
|• Named Honorary Visiting Professor, Qingdau Agricultural University, Qingdau China||2012|
|• Presidential Citation from the Institute of Biological Engineers for service to the Institution||3/3/12|
|• Appointed by the Alabama Legislature to the University Advisory Board which provides technical advice to the Energy Council, whose membership is compromised of State House of Representatives and Senators from ten oil producing States, representatives from five Canadian Provinces and Venezuela.||12/2011|
|• Represented a Resolution of Commendation by the Alabama State Senate, Resolution #11-543||11/2011|
|• Inducted as Honorary Member, Alpha Gamma Rho||2010|
|• Elected as President of the Institute of Biological Engineering, a national organization for biological engineering professionals. This is a three year appointment as President Elect (2010), President (2011) and Past President (2012).||2009|
|• Elected as Fellow of the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers, an honor given to less than2% of the International membership.||2009|
|• Inducted into the Bagley College of Engineering Academy of Fellows, Mississippi State University||2/19/09|
|• Selected by the Southern Growth Policy Board as the Mississippi winner of the Innovator Award for the work of the Sustainable Energy Research Center, Directed by Bill Batchelor and Glenn Steele.||1/2009|
|• Appointed by the Mississippi Legislature to the University Advisory Board which provides technical advice to
the Energy Council, whose membership is compromised of State House of Representatives from five Canadian Provinces, and Venezuela.
|• Certificate of Appreciation for service as Editor, Information and Electrical Technology Division of the Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers and Applied Engineering in Agriculture Journals, American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers.||6/08|
|• Named Hearin Eminent Scholar by the Bagley College of Engineering, Mississippi State University||8/06-8/08|
|• 2nd place in student paper competition for paper entitled “Cost Analytics of Microsale Biomass Gasification Facilities through Mathematical Modeling” authored by Lin Wei, L.O. Pordesimo, C.W. Herndon and W.D. Batchelor, awarded by the Association of Overseas Chinese Agricultural, Biological and Food Engineers.||7-2008|
My research in agricultural and biosystems engineering has focused on sustainable energy solutions, precision agriculture, variable-rate production, crop yield increase, crop management systems and related areas. Through my research programs, I have served as:
- Principal investigator on grants and contracts totaling more than $44 million
- Co-principal investigator on grants and contracts totaling more than $9 million
- Principal investigator of gifts valued at $13,676,000
- Principal or co-principal investigator of grants totaling more than $300,000
My extension activities have included extensive writing for extension bulletins and newsletters, as well as a number of short courses and presentations for field days, media and related programs.
( * indicates MS, Ph.D., Post Doc, or Research Scientist supervised by Dr. Batchelor)
- Liang, H., K. Hu, W. D. Batchelor, Z. Qi and B. Li. 2016. An integrated soil-crop system model for water and nitrogen management in North China. Scientific Reports 6:25755 | DOI: 10.1038/srep25755
- Kim, H., P.B. Parajuli, F. Yu, E. P. Columbus and W. D. Batchelor. 2013. Economic evaluation of syngas production: model development and analysis. Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers 55(3):1033-1045.
- Wei*, L., S. D. To, L. O. Pordesimo, and W. D. Batchelor. 2011. Evaluation of electricity micro-scale electricity generation cost using biomass-derived syngas through modeling. International Journal of Energy Research 35:989-1003.
- Yang*, P., E.P. Columbus, J. Wooten, W.D. Batchelor, P. R. Buchireddy, X. Ye and L. Wei. 2009. Evaluation of syngas storage under different pressures and temperatures. Applied Engineering in Agriculture 25(1):121-128.
- Igathinathane*, C., L.O. Pordesimo, E.P. Columbus, W.D. Batchelor., and S. Sokhansanj. 2009. Sieveless Particle Size Distribution of Particulate Materials through Computer Vision. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 66(2):147-158.
- Wei*, L., L.O. Pordesimo, S.D. To, C.W. Herndon and W.D. Batchelor. 2009. Evaluation of micro-scale syngas production costs through modeling. Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineering 52(5):1649-1659.
- Wei*, L., L.O. Pordesimo, C. Igathinathane, and W.D. Batchelor. 2009. Process engineering evaluation of ethanol production from wood through bioprocessing and chemical catalysis. Biomass and Bioenergy 33:255-266.
- Igathinathane*, C., L.O. Pordesimo and W.D. Batchelor. 2009. Major orthogonal dimensions measurement of food grains by machine vision using ImageJ. Food Research International 42(1): 76-84.
- Link*, E.J., S. Graeff, and W.D. Batchelor. 2008. Evaluation of current and model-based site-specific nitrogen applications on wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) yield and environmental quality. Precision Agriculture:251-267.
- Thorp*, K.R., K.C. DeJonge, A. Kaleita, W.D. Batchelor and J.O. Paz. 2008. Methodology for the use of DSSAT models for precision agriculture decision support. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 64(2):276-285.
- Igathinathane*, C., L.O. Pordesimo, E.P. Columbus, W.D. Batchelor and S.R. Methuku. 2008. Shape Identification and Particles Size Distribution from Basic Shape Parameters using ImageJ. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 63(2):168-182.
- Thorp*, K.R., B.L. Steward, A.L. Kaleita, and W.D. Batchelor. 2008. Using aerial hyperspectral remote sensing imagery to estimate corn plant stand density. Transactions of the ASABE 51(1):311-320.
- Thorp*, K.R., W.D. Batchelor, J.O. Paz., Kaleita, A.L., and Dejonge, K.C. 2007. Using cross validation approach to evaluate CERES-Maize yield simulations within a decision support system for precision agriculture. Transaction of the ASABE 50(4):1467-1479